Some interesting developments on The First Parliament site is located in downtown Toronto at the intersection of Front and Parliament Streets. It is a full city block, bounded on the west by Berkeley Street and on the south by Parliament Square Park. The First Parliament site is almost as large as Nathan Phillips Square.
The events and people associated with the First Parliament site have shaped the City of Toronto and Ontario. It is where the first purpose-built parliament buildings were constructed in 1797, establishing York (now Toronto) as the capital of Upper Canada. These buildings are also best known for being burned down by the Americans during the War of 1812.
The site is adjacent to the historic 10-block town site of York, the birthplace of Toronto and the City’s earliest buildings. In later years, the site would be developed for a county district jail and in the 1800’s, the entire block (plus the surrounding lands) would be occupied by Consumers Gas which powered the industrialization of the City. In the 1960’s the Consumers Gas buildings were demolished and the site is now occupied by a car dealership, car wash and car rental agency.
Lots of details on the City of Toronto Site can be found