Contributed by Laurie Ward. The winter months can be challenging. They can feel long and lonely as our energy dips and connecting with others becomes more difficult. The shorter days also mean we spend more time under artificial light which can lead to sleep problems that can affect our mood. But it’s not all doom and gloom! There is a way to embrace the slower energy of the winter and these self-care tips will help.
1. Get outside and go for a walk. Make fresh air a part of every day. The activity and the vitamin D will boost your mood.
2. Make sleep a priority. A good night’s sleep makes it easier to cope with stress.
3. Plan quiet times or days when you give yourself permission to just relax.
4. Listen to the music you love. Music has the power to soothe and rejuvenate your spirit.
5. Plan social engagements. Not too many that you feel overextended, but just enough so you feel connected to the people you value in your life.
Laurie is a Toronto-based Shiatsu Therapist offering treatments downtown. She has been part of the health and wellness community for over 20 years. Get more info and connect at laurieward.ca. In this issue Laurie gives 5 simple tips to help make this winter a great one.