Contributed by Kathy Flaxman.
It’s time to celebrate fall! Harvest festivals begin at home, with the weekly farmers market in Riverdale Park right by the Farm. There are great ways to maximize home life even if your personal fall harvest is merely a single stalk of Brussels sprouts.
1) Stunning fall colours bring leaves to rake and bags to fill: outdoor exercise that’s perfect for the whole family. Use some of the leaves to cover your flowerbeds and to keep the tulips warm once the snow arrives. Suggestion: tuck some aside for décor options like stuffing orange plastic ‘pumpkin’ bags at Halloween.
2) Cozy up your home décor. Consider switching those spring toned cushions and accents for some items that say home, hearth and snuggle. Deep fall options like rusts, bronzes and greens work well.
3) Outside again, eaves troughs need to be cleaned once leaves have fallen and before they get soaked and sodden.
4) Make sure walkways are in good shape: remove or fix any trip and fall hazards before the weather changes.
5) Furnace inspection and cleaning is a must. Sub zero weather isn’t the time to have a heating interruption!
6) Take care of important work such as roofing, waterproofing, brickwork, fencing, windows and doors now while the weather won’t get in the way. Good news is that a lot of outdoor construction work can continue right into November!
7) In the kitchen, a deep clean before the serous cooking starts is a good idea. Meanwhile get your favourite recipes ready for use. Whether you’re a tofu turkey with veggie sides or cookies fresh from the oven person, fall is the start of a tasty time.