Electric bicycles are an increasingly common sight in Toronto.
Once you have bought your e-bike, it is crucial that you take the necessary steps to ensure that it continues to run at its optimum level, and few aspects of an e-bike are more important than its battery. Below we have outlined the top 5 lithium ion e-bike battery care tips which will help you along the way.
- Tip 1 – Fully Discharge & Recharge – It is advisable to do this 3 times when the battery is new to help condition the battery cells. This is considered the “break-in” period for the battery pack.
- Tip 2 – Use Your Bike Regularly – There are few better ways to maximize the lifespan and run time of an e-bike battery than to ensure that it is used on a regular basis. Leaving it discharged will shorten its life, so keeping riding and recharging regularly.
- Tip 3 – Do Not Discharge For Long Periods – Never leave your e-bike’s battery discharged for any significant length of time. Leaving an electric bicycle battery pack in a discharged state for long periods can cause internal oxidation of the batteries which will adversely affect the lifespan of the battery.
- Tip 4 – Avoid Extreme Temperatures – Very hot or cold temperatures can negatively affect the performance of the battery and shorten its expected life. Avoid storing and charging you battery in a garage or shed that could be subject to really hot or cold temperatures.
- Tip 5 – Frequent Recharges – To ensure the longest possible life for your e-bike battery, re-charge them after every ride, regardless of the distance. You will be able to re-charge the battery immediately after a short ride but after a long ride it is advisable to wait for approximately 30 minutes before starting the re-charge to allow the battery to cool.
By following these 5 tips, we believe that you and your bike will enjoy many long and trouble free journeys together.
Jurij is owner operator of EPrider specializing in quality electric bike and scooters. Eprider is located 89 Portland St. in Toronto. www.eprider.com 416-237-0168